WHERE ARE YOU FOCUSED?
| Tom Dabasinskas |
Ever notice how what your mind is focused on affects your thoughts, feelings and actions? I first noticed this in high school when the songs that I awoke to with my alarm were often stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Love ballads by Journey had a much different effect on my day compared to Another One Bites the Dust by Queen or Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd.
I’ve noticed this same effect with worship songs and the lyrics that I’m singing long after the worship service has ended. A classic example of this is the lyrics to Amazing Grace:
“Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, And grace will lead me home.”
I love how this truth changes my thoughts and feelings about what I am facing. I am inspired that grace will see me through the difficulties and I am encouraged to see the events of my day in light of eternity.
In our life together at Highlands Kent, there are many eternally significant and encouraging things that I’ve been focusing on. Here are a few of those:
• Easter baptisms
• 40+ kids leading us in worship at Easter
• Jim Mahaffie joining the Elder Board
• New people helping out with set-up and takedown
• Many people serving homeless women at Kent Hope
• New families joining us in worship
• Quality candidates that we are interviewing for the Campus Pastor position (click here for the recent update)
• Students and adults serving on the mission trip at the Dream Center in Los Angeles
• Several different people in new roles leading worship well.
Join me in praising God for these and also let it inspire us to view the events of our day in light of eternity. May we take every thought captive to obey Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). It is a privilege to join with you in bringing the hope and healing of the gospel to our broken world!